It turns out staying up way past your bedtime to finish House of Cards is actually bad for your health.
The American Academy of Sleep Medicine warns that if you pass on the shut eye to finish your favorite show, you’re in danger of suffering from deteriorating “mood and cognitive abilities.”
- Set an episode limit each night before you begin watching
- Take a break between each episode to get out of the “auto-play” loop
- Download episodes on your smartphone to control how many you watch at once
- Schedule time on the weekend to catch up on your favorite shows
- To minimize the effects of brightly lit screens at night, use screen settings that filter blue light after sunset
- Stream videos to your TV instead of your mobile device at night to reduce exposure to brightly lit, handheld screens
- Avoid using mobile devices while in bed
- Turn off all screens at least 30 minutes before bedtime
Now that that is out of the way, get back to Orange Is The New Black before you run out of time. Or better yet, watch at work as long as the boss doesn’t catch you!