Did you know that June 2nd is National Doughnut Day?
Whether you spell it doughnut or donut, today is far from another made-up food holiday.
It was actually established back in 1938 by the Salvation Army to honor “Donut Lassies.”
Also known as the Doughnut Girls, they served along the front lines during World War I and II, giving soldiers free coffee and doughnuts in the trenches.
Nowadays, it is a great reason for doughnut shops across the country to give out free donuts of course.
We’re here to help you celebrate and find out where you can score your favorite sugary fried treat.
- Dunkin’ Donuts – The national chain is giving out a free classic donut when you buy any beverage.
- Krispy Kreme – Get any donut free, no purchase necessary.
- Entenmann’s – They’re hosting a celebration in Times Square where you can get free donuts and participate in fun activities. They are also holding “Win Free Doughnuts for a Year” sweepstakes on their Facebook page.
- Cumberland Farms – Between 5 am and 10 am customers will receive a free donut with the purchase of any hot or iced coffee at all locations.
- Honey Dew Donuts – Customers will receive a free Coco Loco Donut with the purchase of any medium or larger size beverage.
- Duck Donuts – Everyone gets a free donut of their choice with any purchase. And all the receipts printed that day will include a coupon for a “Buy one get one free half dozen” deal, which expires on August 31st.
- Tim Hortons – Get a free classic donut with purchase of a coffee when you mention National Donut Day.
- Wawa – If you are a Wawa Rewards member your account will be credited with this special deal.
- Shipley Do-Nuts – From 5 am to noon get a free glazed donut with any purchase.
- Kane’s Donuts – Kanes is offering customers a “Super Dozen.” If you purchase a dozen donuts you will receive an additional 3 free at the Boston area locations.
- The Salvation Army – Not the place you think of for baked goods, but since they started National Doughnut Day, They’re honoring the “Donut Lassies” by giving away free doughnuts all day long. Anyone who gets one is encouraged to post photos of themselves with the hashtag #GivingIsSweet.
And in the words of the late, great Burl Ives… watch the donut, not the hole.